On this episode of The Adventures in Arting Podcast, Mom and I chat with Edva Sims about her pottery business, finding your personal style, and the belief that things made by hand are important. Here’s a little bit about our guest, Edva:
Hi, I’m Edva! I’ve been drawing, painting, sewing and sculpting since I was a little girl.
Inspired by my mother – a Potter herself, I fell in love with clay and its ability to tell a story. I thoughtfully sculpt and hand-build each pottery piece in my studio in Los Angeles.
My upbringing and roots are heavily present in my work, I was born in Israel, grew up in South Africa and now live in Southern California.
I love incorporating bold colors and unique clay textures into my pieces. Each piece I make, is filled with positive energy, which I hope will transcend from maker to buyer.
Some things we discuss on the podcast:
- Design Boot Camp
- Monthly Membership
- electric kiln vs. gas kiln
- keeping the kiln inside your house/apartment
- wheel throwing vs. hand building
- finding your personal style
- collections based on inspiration that particular month (or set of months)
- shipping pottery
- Geami Wrap made by Ranpak
- handmade vs. mass produced
- “A mug is a very personal thing.”
- problem solving and curiosity
And here are our recommendations for this episode:
We have more great guests lined up for upcoming episodes. You can expect a new episode every other Thursday!
If you enjoy the podcast, please tell a friend about the show. This helps other people find the show. Thanks so much!